31 December 2008

A Fishing Secret

Game Warden friend of mine was always asking how I catch so many fish.  Finally I said, "Come along with me sometime.  I'll show you."  We made plans and met down at Jolly Rogers Marina early one Sunday morning, loaded up and launched the boat as the sun rose over Pinnacle Mountain.  We motored across to the other side of the lake, under Highway 10, back up Maumelle Creek a little ways where I killed the engine.

He asked, "Is this it?  The secret fishing hole?"  I didn't say anything, just reached down into my tackle box, calmly pulled out a stick of dynamite, lit it and threw it out into the water.  Couple-seconds later that thing said, "ka-WHOOMPH!'  Course the game warden was horrified as dead fish started floating to the surface.  I was trolling around dipping them up with the scoop-net, and he was saying, "You can't do that!  I'm going to have to arrest you!"  I stopped, reached into my tackle box and pulled out another stick of dynamite.  I lit it, handed it to him and said, "Are you going to stand there and talk all day, or you gonna fish?"

--MJF

No comments: