20 January 2009

New Beginnings--New Hope--New Era

from the memoirs of Mary Rome Foster
January 20, 1993
written at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland

"New Beginnings--New Hope"  
               ...Inauguration Theme, Bill Clinton, 1993.

"Remarkable response."  The words are in my chart  
It's legal--we can really rejoice
The CT scans show no cancer activity in any other
       part of my body
And marked and significant reduction, both in number
     of tumors and in their size, in my lungs
We can really rejoice--I remain on taxol alone as an
     outpatient--will be treated today, return home
     tonight, back for my next cycle February 8 & 9
Inauguration Day!  It's most exciting being in 
     Washington on this historic day
The city is a-twitter and I can feel the excitement
     in the air
It's really quite electric in a subtle and sophisticated way
I do sense a caution in the cold, crisp January air
For today, in many places around the world
There is war and there is rumor of such
Madmen continue to roam and to hold the planet
     hostage at their will
Injustice everywhere abounds--hunger, fear, homelessness,
     anxiety, hopelessness--all forms of oppression
Yet, it's encouraging to watch a veritable parade of
     Americans from every segment of the society
Taking part in and being part of the new order
Presently, I sit next to an HIV-positive, full-blown
     AIDS patient
He played left defense, high school football, could
     bench press his weight
Now weighs 110 pounds (prob'ly soaking wet!)
He coughs and struggles and his only thoughts 
     are of the disease, with occasional lapse into 
     memories of football
He is oppressed and--he is one of the people
I pray he'll be allowed in the parade
Of course I've watched the Inauguration and
     the parade
And I've been moved by the number of times
     the word "hope" has appeared--in speech,
     in music, on posters
Hope--it's one of those elusive words
And it is the stuff of which life is made
Hope is available even in the midst of tragedy and trauma
     and it's usually evident in the lives of those
     who have it
It's late in the afternoon; it's been a perfectly gorgeous
     day in the nation's capital
The brilliant blue sky is beginning to soften as the
     pinks and purples of sunset move across the landscape
Lights are coming on and they add to the spectacular
     beauty as night descends
Strains of "God Bless America" and "America, the Beautiful" 
     pass through my sleepy mind
God bless doctors and nurses and research scientists
God bless Bobby and Sherry and Pam (my Columbia 
     oncology team)
God bless Charlie and Grace and Ron and Winnie
God bless Phillip, Roland and Gena, Carolyn, and Judy
God bless Jack, Gene and Jim, Kathy and Bernie
All these folk and countless host of others--
     they--we are America--we are in community 
     with the world
And so, tonight, even as the lights twinkle and the Capitol 
     and the Lincoln Memorial exude a deeply
     spiritual presence on this day of new beginnings
I celebrate new hope for myself, for my
     country, for my world
And I pray for for every individual who inhabits
     this planet
For we all touch whether we wish to or not
And we, each and all, in one way or another,
     determine the todays and tomorrows of
      one another
May we joyfully embrace the opportunity to be
     involved with living
New Beginnings--New Hope
Uh-hm-m-m.  Works for me
God Bless John and Matt and Mary Catherine and 
     Janis and Pat and... God bless...

Mom continues to teach me.  I always reflect on words that she spoke and sang, but just recently I have begun to clue in on her writing.  Whole volumes--personal essays, poems, theology projects--were dumped on me right after her death.  I wasn't able to read any of it at the time.  Just made me too sad, too angry.  She had written as a hobby her whole life.  Dad reminded me of this piece yesterday morning so I pulled it out and read it and several things leapt out.  

Obviously, it is poignant today, Inauguration Day, 2009, knowing where we have been and what all has unfolded since her hopeful poem.  Still, Mom would be delighted with America today like so many of us are.  She would insist that we get it right this time like so many of us do.  "No distractions.  No hubris.  Most importantly no vendetta.  Take nothing for granted.  But breathe in justice, and move forward," she would say.  She'll be singing "Amazing Grace" at the celebration for those of us who still hear her.  Listen for it.  

Less obvious to most readers is her experimentation with a form of poetry called oracular free verse, a verse form characterized by long, rambling lines channelled by the poet from some mystical or divine source; syntactical parallelism, repetition of sentence structure from line to line; cataloging, or listing; and hanging (or "reverse") indentation, used to delineate line length since paper-pages are only so wide.  Does she allude to Whitman at the end?  Walt Whitman, the American master of oracular free verse?  "I celebrate new hope for myself, for my country, for my world...For we all touch whether we wish to or not," she says, and Whitman: "I celebrate myself;/And what I assume you shall assume;/For every atom belonging to me, as good belongs to you."  

Could she?  I never knew.  I did not edit her piece at all except to correct her spelling of "innauguration."  She drafted it in her beautiful handwriting while she was hooked up to an IV pumping experimental God knows what into her veins.  She never revised it to my knowledge; it's just a draft.  As a Creative Writing teacher, I was impressed with her willingness to experiment with verse form and her knowledge and application of the appropriate poetic devices.  She was obviously researching and studying the art more than I realized.  A mountain girl from Madison County, NC who learned how to sing and made sure she got herself a good education.  No advanced degrees so she studied on her own.  Couldn't get the man to ordain her so she went straight to the Source.  She never quit growing, and she never quits growing.  

We're on the same plane of light this new day, Mama.  I love you.

--MJF

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Matt.
Here is a link to a local poet's poem for today. which I thought you might like to see and perhaps share with your students..from SC, home of Michelle Obama's ancestors...
Gita
http://www.thestate.com/living/story/656568.html

Sandy Longhorn said...

Matt, thanks again for sharing more of your mom. A very moving post!

Anonymous said...

Well Matt, Your dad was wise to pass this along. You have captured your mom's essence and gift to us all. Yes, I heard her singing Amazing Grace just like I hear her many times in daily life. She is a part of our souls afterall. Love, Joann (Davis)