31 December 2009

Big Ten


The "To Do List for 2010" is rather spectacular compared with last year's Dirt Bombs resolution to "keep doing what I do." I have been mulling over some significant lifestyle changes, inspired largely by my students' class discussions of the novels Things Fall Apart, Heart of Darkness, and The Poisonwood Bible. They came to the sardonic conclusion that it is difficult, in America, to breathe without harming the innocent little Congolese children, all the children of the world for that matter--red and yellow, black and white.
  • It is time to move. Our house has served us well, but we can't see ourselves living here forever. For the biggest change of the new year, we are purchasing an old, rehabilitated, downtown home in the Quapaw Quarter of LR, in part to counterpoise the construction of one more grotesque mcmansion in west county, but also, it'll be great living a mile from work and a mile from the River Market (with all of its amusements), on real dirt. The ultimate intent is that the move will catalyze significant new daily-life-habits from walking or biking most-everywhere to community gardening and Farmers' marketing.
  • For fun in 2010, I'm going to brew some beer with mon ami, Nico. We haven't done it in several years. Best beer I've ever tasted. (I'll just keep the rest of my booze-wish list to myself.)
  • This is serious: my tennis game has to be competitive at the 4.5 level by the end of May--by any means necessary. I haven't ruled out performance enhancing drugs or Lap Band surgery.
  • RL's finally old enough to start doing some big boy outdoor activities! Time to hit the trail, river, lake, woods!
  • Detachment from food, money, ego.
  • Mindful, intentional spending, in every way.
  • Change hope with action.
That covers the gist. I wish all of you a happy, new year. May you all find what you seek.

No comments: