14 August 2011

Ernie Johnson, Sr.

Ernie Johnson passed away Friday night. I grew up listening to Skip and him on the radio and on TBS. If a game was televised nationally, we'd often turn down the volume on the television and listen to the radio. Dad and I would get so tickled at 'dem boys sometimes.

After serving 3 years in the U.S. Marine Corps, Ernie pitched, primarily as a reliever, for the Boston Braves, the Milwaukee Braves, and then with the Baltimore Orioles during the 50's. He went 7-3 and had 4 saves for the World Series Champion Braves in 1957. Ernie went on to become a legendary play-by-play announcer and color commentator for the Atlanta Braves from 1962-1999.

I'd like to think that he and Skip are hanging out and catching up at this very moment--in the big broadcast booth in the sky. Maybe they'll get to call the World Series this year for God and all His angels.

If I were to draw up a list of the most influential men in my life, he'd be on it.

2 comments:

Write the World said...

What about him was so influential for you?

matfst said...

WtW, I listened to him call baseball games almost every summer night of my life from puberty until he retired in 1999. He's woven into the fabric of my life experience.