27 September 2011

Nice little thought for the day:


Whom, then, do I call educated? First, those who manage well the circumstances which they encounter day by day, who possess a judgement which is accurate in meeting occasions as they arise, and rarely miss the expedient course of action. Next, those who are decent and honourable in their relations with all men bearing easily and good-naturedly that which is unpleasant or offensive in others, and being themselves as agreeable and reasonable to their associates as is humanly possible to be. Furthermore, those who hold their pleasures always under control, bearing up under them bravely and in a manner worthy of our common nature. Finally, and most important of all, those who are not spoiled by their successes, who do not desert their true selves but hold their ground steadfastly, as wise and sober-minded men, rejoicing no more in the good things which have come to them through chance than those which through their own nature and intelligence are theirs since birth. Those who have character which is in accord, not with one of these things, but with all of them, these I maintain are educated and whole men, possessed of all the virtues of a man. 

I read this on the AP English teacher list-serve this morning.  It was surrounded by fierce debate over who said and/or wrote it.  Plato, Socrates, or Isocrates.  So far, some of the brightest English teachers in the nation can't seem to come to an agreement.  And when I looked for myself--mind you I did not spend much time looking--I cannot say for sure either, though my best guess would be that Socrates said it, and Isocrates wrote it down at some point.  I really don't know though.  Strike one, internet!  Regardless, it's a nice little meditation for the day.  

1 comment:

matfst said...

A little more research, and I'm leaning more and more toward Isocrates. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Haha.