15 September 2011

Slow Trains and Baseball

If you haven't figured it out yet, I like thinking about baseball, talking about baseball, reading about baseball, writing about baseball, watching baseball, playing fantasy baseball, and pitching Wiffle balls to my 3 year old. (He hit one over the carriage house into the alley the other day.) I've written numerous posts on Dirt Bombs about baseball. I "collect" and devour baseball scenes from fiction and poetry--even ones that are bad. I'm just a sucker for them. (My favorite baseball scene is probably in The Old Man and the Sea, and Don DeLillo's Underworld also has some great baseball writing.)


A while back, I found a literary journal that has a whole section of baseball stories. I haven't read it in a long time so when my fantasy baseball season ended suddenly and unexpectedly without making the playoffs--my boys just folded in the final week of the season and lost the last playoff spot by one game--there was a deep void in my life. I've had to find other ways to get my baseball fix. If you're like me, you'll love Slow Trains's section "On Baseball." The stories, some good and some bad, are amazing. Check it out and let me know what you think.



And if you know of any other stuff like this, please, LET ME KNOW about it. I love this stuff!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doc Ellis pitching a no hitter on LSD?

matfst said...

Dude, he was, like, totally feeling the zone. It was far out for sure!