14 December 2008

That's What's Up, G.

A kid I know  sells bricks.  He's a bona fide hustla.  Says with a smile, "pimpin' ain't dead; ho's just scared."  On the first day of school, he walked in 15 minutes late, walked across the room in front of me and looked down on Marcell who grabbed his stuff up and moved to another desk.  I kept teaching, and he's since decided I'm cool enough to speak with bluntly about his daily business affairs, petty crimes as a ranking member of The Bloods street gang in Little Rock.  He's 18 and Blood is in his blood; he's a legacy.  For his initiation 10 or so half-brothers, cousins, and homeboys jumped him and beat the fire out of him.  He knocked four cold before they really got into him.  It's on YouTube.  Dad's in the video too, but he didn't know it at the time.  Now he does.  This kid is getting up in the ranks now by what some kids say.  He's almost earning as many biosurvival tickets as I am.  He drives a nicer car than I do.  He doesn't sell crack or sherm, "only weed Mr. F."

Gang activity has been swelling here for the last 10 years, my whole career, 80% of which has passed during the current, lame duck, administration.  So here's my question:  how and when does Change reach Big G?  Cause right now here in a bit if something doesn't Change, he's headed to jail for 8 or 30 years where he'll re-evaluate his life and come out wanting to do right but won't be able to find someone to give him a chance he can believe in.  So he'll know, "Dad will."  He says he's listening to me, but the best advice for a change that I've summoned up is, "try and be cool and level-headed and save up 30 or 5oGs to disappear with this June after I help you graduate."  He ain't goin' to college.

--MJF

No comments: